Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Providence, RI

Veterans Memorial Auditorium
Saturday, December 4, 2021

We left Reading, PA at 9am on Friday to make the trek through Connecticut (and saw Stamford and Hartford AGAIN) to get to Rhode Island. Fortunately, though it was a 6 hour drive, we didn't have a show, so we were able to have some free time. 

Do you realize how many cities in Connecticut end with -bury? It's astonishing.

Canterbury, Danbury, Glastonbury, Middlebury, Roxbury, Salisbury, Simsbury, Southbury, Waterbury, and Woodbury.

What about the -fords?

Ashford, Branford, Eastford, Guilford, Hartford, Milford, Oxford, Stafford, Stamford, Stratford, Wallingford, and Waterford. 

My GOODNESS!

We got to the hotel around 4, and the one thing I wanted to do in Providence was go to the Capitol building. Of course, the Capitol closes at 4:30 and isn't open on weekends at all. So I threw my stuff in my room and made a hasty walk to the Capitol with about 9 minutes to look around. Not ideal, but I was able to get pictures of the inside which is what I ultimately wanted. I could easily have spent an hour inside, but I made the best of the 9 minutes I had. It was a gorgeous capitol building. I don't recall a capitol dome that has a painted mural, I'll have to look back at my pictures of previous capitols. However, this was lovely. A giant Christmas tree adorned the center of the main staircases below the dome. 




















It was VERY cold out, mostly because of a biting cold wind. That night I saw the new Ghostbusters movie with some friends from the cast/crew, and also went to get Insomnia Cookies. Maybe I've posted about it before (I don't recall), but many college towns we've visited have Insomnia Cookies; it's a simple formula:  have fresh, warm cookies available until the wee hours of the morning for those crazy college students. They even deliver! Well, I've visited many locations throughout the tours, and was glad to find another one. I got a six-pack; 3 snickerdoodles (my favorite), a sugar cookie, a chocolate chip with M&Ms, and a peanut butter chip cookie. Yummy!

Here's the Veterans Memorial Auditorium...what a disgusting place to do my job! :)


































Spectacular, right!?

In Hershey, just a few days prior, the performance was 53% sold...which ain't great. Our first show in Providence was 85% sold! That's great! I do think Covid is to blame for some of the lower ticket sales in various theaters, and I understand the hesitancy, though it makes me sad. Having more people in the audience makes a huge difference, especially in a large theater or auditorium. 

On to Syracuse, NY tomorrow for the first time!

No comments: