Thursday, December 2, 2021

New Brunswick, NJ

The State Theatre
Monday & Tuesday, November 29-30, 2021

I was here with the show back in 2015 but didn't remember it at all, until I walked to the stage door. That was familiar. 

Here's the marquee from 2015 --


Here's the marquee from 2021 --


From 2015 --


From 2021 --


Below are two shots from 2015 --



This year we stayed at a really cool hotel directly across the street from the theater, which was the closest we've been to any venue. It took all of 2 minutes to walk across the street and get into your dressing room.

Everyone seemed to love being in this town because we actually had actual time to actually accomplish things, including rest.

Rutgers University is in New Brunswick, and like most college towns, there are lots of food options close by. We only had one show on Monday night, and one on Tuesday night--that means we had all day Tuesday to do whatever we wanted. On Monday, before the show, my show buddy Ryan (he plays the snowman) and I went to a place called Cambo Box, a Cambodian restaurant. I got lemongrass chicken with rice and coconut corn. It was corn drizzled with a sweet coconut sauce of some sort. Strange, but good!

Our show Monday night started 15 minutes late for reasons that I don't know. But the crowd, while relatively small, was excited. Same was true for Tuesday night. I'm thinking that COVID stuff still has people staying home, or at least away from large gatherings like a musical. But thankfully there are enough folks willing to come and enjoy -- because without seeing happy kids, I don't know that I could stand doing this show over and over.





























This is the hotel where we stayed--the Heldrich. It was nice (not as fancy as the H Hotel in Midland, MI, but still nice -- and WAY better than the Holiday Inn we'd stayed at in Hartford).




Below is what is pictured on the key to the rooms -- 


On Tuesday night, after our show, I was very hungry. Much of the cast had gone to a place called Destination Dogs (everything is aviation themed) the night before and raved about it. It's a hot dog place...but that makes it sound simple or dumb. It was neither.

They had more options than I thought possible for such a relatively simple meal. I didn't order (but COULD HAVE) the alligator and shrimp hot dog option. What?!

I got a regular all-beef hot dog with mustard, mayo, and cheese sauce on it. It came in a split Texas Toast bun, and was delicious. I also ordered fried cheese curds. Also delicious. I didn't eat it all and saved the leftovers for another late night.


Something extra special about New Brunswick was that the Rudolph understudy went on for the first time! This can be extremely stressful for everyone involved, not the least the actor who has to jump into this big role without much practice! But our cast did great to support each other, and it was awesome.

This is me with McKenna, Rudolph's understudy --


Thanks for reading -- Hershey, PA is next!

No comments: