Monday, December 13, 2021

Knoxville, TN

Tennessee Theatre
Friday, December 10, 2021

Well, I have a new favorite American city. Granted, my opinion is based on less than 24 hours in the place, but still. Knoxville, Tennessee is amazing. I'd never been here before.

As I mentioned in the last post, we stayed in Chattanooga for lunch before heading to Knoxville. I was exhausted from the last few days of travel and excitement, so I took a nap once we got to our hotel. We were staying 7 miles from the theater (I prefer staying close to the venue so I can walk and see the surrounding area), so we took the bus downtown to the theater.

Walking into the theater, everyone was impressed with the colors and the beauty. From the website --

The magnificent Tennessee Theatre first opened its doors on October 1, 1928 and was hailed as "the South's most beautiful theatre." When the first patrons stepped inside downtown's "movie palace" to see their favorite stars on the silver screen, they paid only 40 cents for matinees and 60 cents for evening shows (children paid only 10 and 15 cents).

Designed by Chicago architects Graven & Mayger, the Theatre has a Spanish-Moorish style interior that incorporates elements from all parts of the world: Czechoslovakian crystals in the French-style chandeliers, Italian terrazzo flooring in the Grand Lobby, and Asian influences in the carpet and drapery patterns. It was one of the first public places in Knoxville to have air-conditioning.

Its 90-year history includes highs and lows, from when movies reigned as the chosen form of entertainment to the decline and uncertain future of downtown. 

In 1996, the Historic Tennessee Theatre Foundation, a non-profit organization, was founded with the purpose of preserving, maintaining, and operating the Theatre. The Foundation's Board of Directors was responsible for overseeing and raising funds for restoration and renovation of the building, which began in June 2003. The former movie palace reopened on January 15, 2005 as a world-class performing arts center--the result of a $25.5 million renovation and restoration project funded through public and private donations.

It really was a beauty.













































These are from the lobby --
























Now back inside the theater --




I have been meaning to point out something important that I think many people wonder about. What's the difference between theatre and theater? Why the different spellings? Are you just trying to be pretentious?! :)

I confess that I, as a theater person, interchange them somewhat willy-nilly. Though when I'm using the proper name of a venue, I'll use whatever spelling they do, i.e. Ethington Theatre (where I did all my shows in college).

Usually, theater with the -er refers to the art of performing, but it can also refer to the building where the performing is taking place. 

Theatre with the -re is usually used when referencing a specific building where theater with the -er is being performed. For example, I would say, "I'm a theater actor and I performed last night at the Palace Theatre." That would be correct, though it ultimately doesn't matter too much.


Hopefully that calms your curious mind. I hate to think this has been keeping you up at night wondering WHY.

Besides the lovely theater, this was our first sold out show (I know Poughkeepsie, NY was quite well sold...but I've already told you about how that show went)! The crowd was the best I think I've ever experienced. Ever. Out of all six years of doing this tour and out of all the shows I've ever done in my life.

There are certain "tells" with audiences. There are certain moments in our show, certain lines that characters say, which can instantly tell us the type of audience we have. The first is right at the beginning. I'm not spoiling anything by saying there is a snowman in our show. He narrates the entire thing. His name is Sam (the actor is Ryan). Well, Sam comes out at the beginning and starts talking, then pauses to say, "Oh, excuse me, call me Sam." He pauses again to let it sink in. But what happens from time to glorious time is that the audience, mostly kids, will either laugh, or say "Hi Sam" or something like that.

His next line is "What's the matter, haven't you seen a talking snowman before?" It's just like the movie. If the audience reacts strongly enough, he will then say, "Well, now you have!" and move on with the scene. It's wonderful when it happens, because the audience is engaged and loves what's happening. You can tell instantly.

The second "tell" is when Santa and Mrs. Claus come on stage. Mrs. Claus is upset that Santa isn't eating, and she literally chases after Santa screaming, "Eat! EAT!" As Santa, I run away from her as she chases me off stage, and that usually gets a big laugh from the kids.

The third "tell" is when baby Rudolph comes on stage. This is all within the first 5 minutes of the show. Baby Rudolph is a puppet operated by Mrs. Donner (that's Rudolph's mother). The actress dressed as a reindeer is also holding a baby reindeer in her lap. It's adorable and cute and wonderful and all that. I'm off stage getting into my next costume, as I'm about to enter and meet baby Rudolph and sing my one song, "Jingle Jingle Jingle". 

Usually, as soon as the audience sees baby Rudolph, there are audible gasps and "awwwwwws". 

If any of these three "tells" don't appear, we know the audience is just a quiet one. It doesn't mean they don't love the show, it just means they aren't as expressive as others. And that's ok...it really is.

BUT, when the audience laughs or reacts to Sam, causing him to say his additional line, and when they laugh out loud when Mrs. Claus chases Santa off stage, and when they "awwwww" at baby Rudolph, we know we have an excited crowd--and it gives us energy. 

That is VERY important on these crazy tour days.

Well, the Knoxville audience took excitement to a whole other wonderful level.

ALL the "tells" I mentioned were there, and more. They sang along to songs, they cheered, they clapped, they laughed, and they added so much to our show. It was truly a joy.

After intermission, Sam comes out on stage again and is referencing what happened just before the break. Just like in the movie, he says, "What do you think of our friend Cornelius?" -- referring to the prospector Yukon Cornelius they had just met before intermission. Usually there is no response, it's basically a rhetorical question. From time to time, the audience will respond with a cheer and Sam will add, "I think he's pretty great, too". Well, in Knoxville they cheered longer and louder than I've EVER heard them before. I was in my dressing room at the time, and I sat up in my chair when I heard the response! It was amazing. That's how it went.

So, yes, the short bus ride helped. The nap helped. The beautiful theater helped. But the audience made it all wonderful!

It made me wish we could have spent more time there. Unfortunately, we had a 6am bus call the next morning to head to Augusta, GA for a 2pm show. That's not fun.

More on that in the next blog--thanks for reading!

No comments: