Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fourth Time's A Charm

Last Monday, I had the opportunity to return to Peacetown; the group home I've visited three times before. Our last trip was back in March. April was just very busy for everyone (including my vacation to Tokyo), and we couldn't get a trip planned.

This last trip was so amazing. I know the kids are loved by their caretakers and they get lots of attention from the various groups that visit them--but boy are they glad to see us. I can't begin to imagine how reassuring and fun it is for them to see familiar faces returning to visit them over and over again. I certainly find each visit refreshing in a way impossible to describe.

This trip we brought lots of white t-shirts of differing sizes for the kids to draw on with fabric pens. We brought irons and ironing boards as well--to set the colors on the fabric. I really didn't plan any of this at all, I was just along for the ride.

Out of all the activities we've done so far with the kids--they enjoyed this one the most, I think. Also, they were the best at it.

But before we went inside and started the activity, we played outside with the kids for about 20 minutes--and it made for some fun pictures.

Here are two of my favorite friends (that's the "girl in pink" at the bottom and her funny friend)-- Usually the kids cling to you for about 10 seconds, then they fly like bees onto the next person--but not this kid, not on this day. I hung out with him for most of the evening.
This was really the first time that we've visited when the weather has been nice enough to stay outside for extended periods of time--and so some kids were playing soccer and running around, and this kid and I climbed the monkey bars.
Okay--now it's time to start our activity. The people who planned the activity brought along different templates the kids could use to create various designs on their t-shirts. Well, without intending to, the design on my shirt was a very popular one--nearly all the kids in my group wanted to draw the same design. They all wanted to look at my shirt, and thankfully I had another shirt on, so I just took it off and set it on the floor so they could all see.
My little friend working very hard on his t-shirt--
Most of the kids, including the older ones, asked for help from us--but not him--he did this t-shirt all by himself--
Holding up his handiwork (HOW ADORABLE IS THIS!?)--
I moved over to help my other friend work on her shirt--
She had used a template of Mickey Mouse and I helped her spell his name and pick the right colors; this picture shows she's still working--
Lim Jae Jun; one of the nicest kids and SO full of energy; he's wearing the t-shirt he designed--
Notice the design on this guys shirt--I helped him write Korea on the top and draw the circle in the middle of the flag; notice also the Nike symbols on the shirt; several of the kids listed various symbols they knew (one kid wrote CIA and FBI on his shirt--I helped him add NYPD and Manchester United)--
After all the kids were finished designing and setting the colors of their shirts, we had a simple fashion show to show off the shirts. This kid sat in my lap for most of it and took about 50 of the 100 pictures I took that night. I think I've mentioned before how much the kids love taking pictures, not only of themselves but of other things as well.
The girls in the fashion show, being silly--
A new employee of English Village came with us to Peacetown this trip. When were getting ready to head home, I asked her how she liked it. She said, "When we first got there, I was very sad, because they have nothing. But very soon after, while interacting with the kids, I saw that they were really happy." She said she couldn't believe it--because they have so little, yet are so happy. She realized how often other people, who have so many things to be thankful for, prefer to complain about things--while these kids have much to complain about, but are thankful. It's an amazing truth that is overwhelming upon visiting a place like this.
It breaks my heart, but many of the children at this place will never know life the way I have. Though they are young, many have had to take on very adult emotions and decisions. It's unfair and sad. There's obviously more I could say about this--but I think you understand how I feel.
I continue to love spending time with them, and simply being a presence in their lives. I do not know if they'll ever understand the joy they bring me or the power of the lessons they teach--and that's okay.
I shall return.

No comments: