Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Time is Running Out

When I write "my time is running out", I don't mean I'm near death. I mean, maybe I am, but I don't think I am. Whatever. What I specifically mean, though, is that, as of this writing, I have 26 days of work--40 total days left in Korea.

Just last night I had a dream, the first of its kind, where I was making my way back to America from South Korea. If you recall, I've had daydreams about the subject of being back home, but never had one while actually enjoying REM sleep. As it was a dream, there are details that either don't make sense, or are out of place in reality. But that's what makes it a dream, I suppose.

In the dream, I think I traveled back home on some sort of flying ship--something weird like that. The thing I remember the most is that I landed, I had tears in my eyes (tears of joy, of course, but tears seem to be a recurring theme of my return home), and I just started walking. I wasn't at LAX (like I will be in 40 days from now), but whatever.

In my hysteria of being back home, I had forgotten that I planned on renting a car at the airport, and instead jumped on a bus. At some point during the trip, I realized that I had forgotten this portion of my plan--and I was mad at myself. The bus was taking so much longer than it would have taken me in a car. I had also forgotten that I planned to go eat at In-N-Out as soon as I got back to America! I guess within the dream I was just so overwhelmed by returning home that I forgot my plans.

At some point, I got off the bus and started walking around. I wasn't in any place familiar to me, but I think I was looking for a phone, so I could call my friend Patrice. I started running, and I couldn't keep myself from crying (tears of hysterical joy again). I remember coming to some office complex, looking for a phone. There were huge spiderwebs all over, and it creeped me out. Then I found a bathroom, and for some reason I took off my shoes (I guess it's because I've been in Korea so long) and went in. I'm not sure if I thought there was a phone in there or what, but then I left, and forgot where I put my shoes. But then I found them and walked toward a nearby parking structure. I think it was at a school--and a teacher came up to me and was talking to me; she had noticed that I was sad (though I wasn't sad, it was the tears of joy). I started to talk to her about my time in Korea...and that's all I remember about the dream.

My mind is strange. Let's leave it at that.

I went to the doctor today, for the second time in one week. Last week I went because I was having allergy problems, and they wouldn't go away with normal medicine. I had been taking Claritin and Benadryl at appropriate times, and also doing my regular once-a-week intake of Airborne. That hadn't worked. I tend to sneeze a lot as it is. I'm not sure if it's an allergy thing, or if my body just enjoys sneezing; but I do it a lot. And I seem to recall that when the seasons change, as they are currently doing, I sneeze even more than usual. This is normally not a terrible issue, but it currently has gone past the point of being "normal" or appreciated. I scream when I sneeze now, because it frustrates me so much. (I'm sure you'd love to be my neighbor.)
Last week, the doctor prescribed me about 30 pills for 3 days. I took them all at their appropriate time. No change. Really.

I took this today, on my walk home from the Doctor; fall is definitely here--On my previous visit, I sat in the Dr.'s office for approximately 5 minutes. I briefly, using the most effective gestures possible, described my symptoms. The doctor then made me say, "Ahhh" and looked in my throat; and he also placed a stethoscope on my back and listened to some deep breaths. For this, I was charged 3,500Won (which at the current exchange rate was a mere $2.63USD). There is something to be said for Korea's health care system. I don't know if everyone has health care, but something about the system really works, at least for me. I was then sent downstairs to the pharmacy; conveniently located directly below the doctor's office. My plethora of pills cost 4,500Won ($3.39). Unbelievable.

Today's visit wasn't terribly different. I sat in the Dr.'s office for about the same length of time, but I suppose because it was a return visit, I was only charged 2,500Won ($1.88--I might add that in Korea, a bag of tortilla chips costs more than TWICE what a doctor visit costs--so maybe something is terribly wrong). This doctor speaks very little English and chooses his words carefully. I tried to be more specific and deliberate with my gestures and descriptions, so that there would be no room for confusion. As my previous pills didn't seem to have any effect, I wanted to make sure he understood what my problem was. I think he understood. Even after he said he'd prescribe medicine for 5 days, not 3 like before, I made sure to ask, "Will they work?" I could see his mind working...and after a few moments, he said, "I think...new pills will alleviate symptoms." He actually said the word 'alleviate'. Wow. Okay. Let's hope this works. Because I've now got NEW pills, different pills, for 5 days instead of 3. Very exciting. Oh, and the new set of medication cost 4,600Won ($3.46).

This weekend I have 3 days of vacation, coupled with my regular 2 days off, meaning I have 5 sequential days off work. This is welcome news on several fronts.

First, I hate the show I'm doing. There's no way around it. I've done everything that is within my power to change my feelings about the show, to no avail. I have since realized that it isn't my feelings about the show that are a problem, but my reactions that stem from my feelings. For instance, if I mope around and complain all the time because I hate the show--that's a problem. The problem doesn't lie with my actual distasteful feelings towards the show. I've been trying to change my feelings about the show--attempting to find some "good" in it.

Luke Skywalker was able to see good in his father, Darth Vader; but I'm afraid I am not as lucky in dealing with this show. The truth is, if Kim Jong Il starts to shock me with lightning from his hands, I don't think anyone from "The Squirrels" will save me by throwing the Dear Leader into a bottomless space silo. Ain't gonna happen.

Another reason I am excited for this weekend is because I am going to Jeju Island. Jeju Island is off the south coast of Korea, and contains, among other things, the tallest mountain in South Korea. I've been told to plan 7 hours for the hiking of said tallest mountain, though I do not intend to do so. I don't mind hiking, but mostly, I just want to lie on a beach and read. I will probably stay one night at Sunrise Mountain, a place where, I am told, a gong is struck which wakes you up prior to the sunrise, allowing you time to hike a short way up the mountain to see the sunrise. This sounds like something I'd enjoy doing at least once in my life.

I had been thinking of going to either the Philippines or Thailand, but as I will be vacationing by myself, those places seemed inappropriate. Asking, "What do you want to do today?" doesn't carry as much weight when you're asking it of yourself. Also, as I've been casually looking for a place to live and a car to buy once I do return to America, having those costs in my mind certainly encouraged me to keep the costs of this vacation to a minimum.

I am also excited because this will be my last vacation/break from work before I leave this continent and return to North America in less than 40 days. I want to make the most of it. You can bet there will be pictures to show and stories to tell upon my return next week.

Yesterday, Monday, October 6, marked my 7th (I'm pretty sure it's 7) visit to Peacetown. As always, it was a joyous and raucous time. Four new people from EV came and all had a great time, which is what I would have hoped for. Since this month is Halloween, and Halloween is hugely popular in Korea (more so than even in America; for reasons beyond my comprehension, since Christmas isn't that big a deal here), I decided we'd bring some candy (though oddly enough, Halloween candy cannot be found anywhere; though I attribute that to the very true statement that many Asians do not enjoy sweets as much as salty fish-like treats) and make balloon animals for the kids. Both of these things worked out well, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Once we made balloon animals, the boys used every opportunity to kill us with their new "weapons". The 3 balloon creations that were available were a dog, a bird, or a sword. Most people got a sword, and many turned those swords into guns. It's a boy thing. I was executed nearly 900 times. They would make me put my hands up, then turn around, then get on my knees, then they'd shoot me. Yikes.

I didn't know this picture was taken until this afternoon--and I find it hilarious. It shows me and Jay (from North Carolina, this was his first time at Peacetown) both dead-ish on the floor with boys attacking us. Oh, and in case you didn't know I had shaved my head...I shaved my head. I did it about a month ago and have kept it up since. I guess the thinking is, I'm losing my hair, so why not lose it all? So I'm the dead-ish bald guy in the white shirt, Jay is the dead-ish bald guy in the red shirt.
While the boys were turning their swords into guns, this girl wanted to play the hand-slap game that I started playing on my very first visit to Peacetown last December. I can't say it plainer than this--they love this simple hand-slap game. Not just girls--but the boys, too. So, in the picture below, you see Im Jae (my favorite kid) messing with his blue balloon, and then you see me playing the hand-slap game--
As often happens, a child will swipe one of our camera's and take pictures. The next two pictures are some of those pictures. A kid took Laura's camera (but they're always very careful and considerate with the cameras) and snapped this picture of me with one of the leaders of the group.
He ran to show us the picture after he snapped it, and it was obvious that the leader could hardly be seen--because the camera was zoomed in too far. So he snapped another one. The leader is holding the tail of a dog balloon and pointing it at me in some sort of gun-like fashion.
Before I left, I finally got out my camera (I hadn't taken any pictures yet that night) and snapped one of me and Im Jae.
After I took a picture with Im Jae (who is the only kid whose name I remember, though I try to remember more, I cannot), this girl wanted a picture, too.
And after I snapped that picture, more kids wanted in (I'm sorry about my forearm, which looks awfully scary).
The girl below, along with the boy in the pinkish/tan shirt in the above picture (his shirt says Abercrombie on it--you can just make out the -rombie in cursive) taught me how to count in Korean. I knew up to 10, but I didn't know how to combine the numbers to go any higher than that. For instance, 1 is "eel" and 10 is "sheep". Eleven, then, is "sheep eel"; 10 and 1. Not so hard. Then you get to 20--which is 2 and 10. Two is "e". So 20 is "e sheep". We counted up to 30 or so. It was cool.
Though I may have stated it before, I have come to the realization (though I'm certain it's not startling) that kids are the same everywhere. They desperately want and need love. Though they may express that want and need in different ways, I believe all children are the same in that regard.

But if I were a kid in the same position as these kids, I can't imagine reacting to a stranger (a foreign one at that) the way these kids respond to us. What would I have done if an Asian person had walked in to where I lived? Would I have run to them without hesitation and grasped their hand and hugged them? I think not.

I find their trust and outpouring of love to be just overwhelming and beyond adequate description. I would imagine that is a small sample of what being a parent must be like; but please correct me if I'm wrong.

When we visit next month, that will be my last chance to see these kids. I don't know what I will do about that. I know I will bring pictures to give to the various kids that I have pictures with, most certainly Im Jae, who has meant so much to me personally. I don't know if I should write an encouraging note (and obviously have someone translate it into Korean for me) to give to him. I think I'd regret not telling him how much I appreciate him, and thank him for how kind and respectful he is, and how I have the highest hopes for him. I don't know what I'll do. Only because of Peacetown do I wish I was staying another year in Korea.

On a completely different subject, in closing, I invited a small group to join me at "On the Border" (the Mexican restaurant that I am so very thankful for) for my birthday last month. I got a free appetizer because I had a special birthday coupon. It was lovely.

Evan, Nikki, Herman, and bald me--At some point toward the end of the meal, the most adorable child I have seen in my entire life started wandering around the restaurant. One of the other people at the table pointed her out, and I think we all agreed that she looked as close to the character of Boo from the Disney/Pixar film Monsters, Inc. as anyone we'd ever seen. She was smiling and laughing at nothing. Then I started to make faces at her, and she'd laugh even more. Keep in mind, I'm a bald white guy--and I know I'm not intimidating--but I am very surprised that a small Korean girl finds me so non-menacing. I played Peek-A-Boo for a few moments with her, then her mother brought her over to our table. I have no idea why. Regardless, it made for the sweetest exchange (as you can see I played the hand-slap game with her) I've encountered in a while. Absolutely adorable, am I right?!

Boo--

You see, there are many things I will miss about Korea.

Until later.

No comments: