Friday, September 5, 2008

My Looming Birthday

My birthday is coming soon (Thursday the 18th). Looming, perhaps. If any of you reading this are over 30, do you remember what it felt like to creep closer to that mark? I'm NOT turning 30 this year, but I am getting ever so close. What major accomplishments had you garnered by that point in your life? I'd like to better gauge where I'm at in my life, though I certainly can't say it's lacking in excitement.

I am very fortunate. I have a job that pays me well, and I am even able to save some money. I really need nothing. I am not posting this blog to ask for birthday presents. I promise. If you DID send something to me--I'd just have to spend more money to bring it back to America with me in about 70 days.

If you were planning on sending something to me, and now you're angrily putting away the wrapping paper you had out on the table, and you're furiously slamming the desk drawer after putting the scissors and tape back in it--I'm sorry. Obviously, cards are perfectly great--and I'd love to hear from any and all of you. However, don't feel like you need to put a check or cash in there--because I'd literally have to mail it right back to America (I can't deposit American checks or cash here).

Though I'm the first to admit that I'm somewhat of a pack-rat--this Korean experience (among other experiences in my life) has continued to teach me what I can and should live without. I definitely don't need more "stuff"--even though I may want it.

With that said, I would also be more than happy to receive edible gifts such as brownies, cereal, chips, or other such accoutrements of the non-Korean variety.

The things I really need, are things I don't need here in Korea, but WILL need for my return to America in about 70 days.

A gas card (I'll eventually buy another car now that Eugene is with another family [Eugene is the name that was given to my former car of choice, sold prior to coming to Korea]). An "In-N-Out Burger" gift card (seriously, I will have to eat somewhere, I might as well enjoy it). A gift card to Target or some similar establishment. A grocery store gift card.

Those are things that are extremely practical, and would be very helpful to me in my transition back into "normal" life. If you would like to make that a birthday present to me, I couldn't be happier. I can give you an address to mail those to once I get closer to the end of my contract (in about 70 days).

Briefly, in other news, I made my 6th visit to Peacetown (the children's home) this past Monday, and it was, as always, extremely rewarding. Also, the show I've been railing on and on about has now opened. "The Squirrels" is now showing, 10 times a week. I wish I could say it's been a great experience thus far, but I'm not a fan of lying; even in a blog.

More about all those things later--but now I'm going to sleep.

No comments: