Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Photographic Journey to the Post Office

Yesterday, Tuesday, January 8th, I took a walk to the nearest Post Office. I needed to mail some things. Isn't that why one goes to the Post Office?

It is nearly a 30 minute walk, one-way, so I took my camera with me, and snapped some interesting pictures. I thought I'd share my photographic journey with you. These pictures will be in order of when they were taken, to give you a better idea of my journey.

To get to the Post Office, I only have to cross one major intersection. There were leaves along the sidewalk my entire way.



A guard shack of some sort lies right across the street from English Village. In the background you will notice a large mountain. If I were to walk up the mountain, and turn around, I would see North Korea. I'm guessing this is a good look out point...should anything happen. I have no idea how long it's been abandoned. If I panned the camera just to the left of the sandbags, you would see a gas station a stone's throw away. It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere.



On the opposite corner of the street from the guard shack is a beautiful church being built. It's quite large.



Just about 100 yards from the guard shack, on the same side of the road, is this bunker of sorts. There is fencing all around it, and it also appears to be abandoned and not in use. This bunker is directly across the street from the new church.



I got a few good close-ups of the fencing. It wasn't just a normal chain link fence, it had this green/blue rubber coating to the metal. It is clearly broken and rusting, which made for some interesting pictures. At the bottom, right-hand corner of this picture, you can see a white, rounded object. That's my shoe. I cut it out of the picture in editing later (among making other color and contrast alterations), but kept it in for you viewing enjoyment. I didn't have my foot in the picture on purpose, okay.



This is the same picture as the previous one...just with no random foot, and with some neato effects.



Again, directly across from this bunker of sorts was the church being built. Here is a better shot of both buildings. The one on the left is also new, it's just further along. On my way home, I noticed men working on the rooftop of the newer looking building, but didn't take a picture of it...because, well...it was just guys walking on a rooftop. No big deal.



As I continued to walk, this sign was on my side of the road. It appears to be a speed limit sign, but perhaps it's not. It shouldn't have been on my side of the road, since I was walking against the traffic (traffic nearest me was going in the opposite direction of me, and would not be looking at this sign). Whatever. It's an interesting sign, showing both wear and interesting characters. Look them up, perhaps you'll learn something...then you can share your findings with me. I don't have that kind of time.



On my way home from the Post Office (you see how hazy it is!) I was walking behind four older ladies who were walking and talking up a storm. They're little old ladies, so I passed them pretty quickly. You'll notice we are the ONLY ones walking anywhere...and there really is no traffic. Earlier, when I said "It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere", I may have spoken to soon. I am in a very rural area, but you notice there are 3 lanes each way for traffic! If you will also notice the walls on the far left side of this picture. Those are along the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street. They are blocking your view of a new "city" being built. Nearly everyone lives in high-rise apartment buildings (which I've mentioned and photographed in other blogs) instead of houses. Behind those walls I could hear hammering and other "building" noises. A new set of high-rise apartment buildings will be going in over there. Perhaps that's why they planned such an expanse of road.



After I passed the ladies, I went down this side street to see this 90-50% off sale! That's another funny thing about signs here. Just one more backwards thing, I suppose. I've seen this in Geumchon and Ilsan and Seoul. Anytime they list a sale--it's always the highest percent off followed by the least percent off. Also, more Korean characters for you look up. You may also notice that there are clothes on racks outside. There is literally nothing keeping anyone from stealing some of those clothes. But as I've learned, theft is really not an issue in Korea. I've heard that from many different people. For the record, I did not steal any clothes.



As I continued on my way home, I walked by a rather small ditch of sorts along the sidewalk. There were lots of noteworthy things in there, including, but not limited to, dog poop. I have spared the world from pictures of that (I did not take any pictures of it, sorry if you're disappointed). However, I did get some interesting pictures. There was a torn piece of what appears to have been part of a basket of some kind.



It was such a hazy day that taking pictures without the flash left most things drab and rather colorless. I clicked the flash on to get a slightly different look. I really prefer when the sun is out...but South Korea and the sun do not appear to be on speaking terms right now.



Unfortunately, when you do not use a flash, and you're taking close up, macro-focus pictures, it can be blurry. Fortunately, I didn't get a better picture of this corn cob (because I think it could have been gross).



So, you see, even though you're not here in Korea with me, you can still take a walk to the Post Office with me. I'm sure that was quite an adventure. To get the full experience, I suggest lowering the temperature in your house to around 40 degrees...or go sit in your refrigerator while you read it. Now you know how it feels.

Wherever you are...if it's not as cold as this...enjoy it. If it is as cold as this where you are...whoopdee doo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What if it's colder where I am? Do I get points for that? It was 16 degrees this morning, and the low tomorrow night will be -4. The bog beside my apartment is certifiably frozen. Even the Canadian geese have moved on.